About Me

My photo
I graduated from Loyola University New Orleans (Geaux Wolfpack!) with a B.A. in Psychology. I recently completed two years as an AmeriCorps member during which I found a home at the Washington Middle School for Girls. Prior to WMSG, I worked as an adult education instructor for the Corrections Organized for Re-entry program (CORe). My mission at WMSG is to empower the students and stregnthen their voice. I hope to inspire a love of learning and a love of self.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

-Due MONDAY - Education is a Team Effort! - Extra Credit

Life can be a long, strategic and challenging game filled with all sorts of players. Whether a student is in school, at home, or on the basketball court, effective teamwork can make life's journey enjoyable and can produce incredible results. However, working successfully as a team is not an effortless task and teamwork requires a great deal of perseverance, compromise, and support.  
(THE ASSIGNMENT)

  • Watch (a) sports game (s) this weekend and discuss with your student the relevance of teamwork.  Have your student write a clear and cohesive 1-2 page essay explaining the importance of teamwork and role that it plays in her life. I have provided examples of appropriate responses. You may use this as a guideline in order to inspire discussion and the student's personal writing process.
  • All summaries must include: 
    •  Sport watched, with whom the student watched it
      • Siting next to my grandfather, I enjoyed an exciting football game
    • Teams playing
      • We enjoyed the New Orleans Saints v Atlanta Falcons game
    • Date, Time, Location
      • The game occurred  Sunday, September 26, 2010 in the Superdome in New Orleans
    • Winning team
      • The Saints won, of course. WHO DAT!
    •  Signs of Teamwork(THE MOST IMPORTANT SECTION)
      • As we watched Grandpa explained that each team member has a different task; some people on the team are responsible for protecting the ball, while others are responsible for moving it down the field. I also noticed that the their was a leader that would give directions. During school projects, I am usually the student that does (or does not) take the lead. etc...
    • Components of Teamwork that were missing in the game
      • My grandfather and I discussed that teamwork requires a leader, but should also allow for group member input. I did not see a section of the game where the team members got to share her/his thoughts.  This reminds me of the time I had to complete a group project and the group leader did not listen to my ideas. 
    • Whether or not student enjoyed the game 
      • I loved watching the game with Grandpa because we really bonded and I got a chance to learn about one of his interests, sports! Maybe Grandpa and I can save money to attend a Redskins game, even though the SAINTS are the best.
 ENJOY THE WEEKEND!!

No comments:

Post a Comment