• Torito – “Little Bull”, nickname for Juan Michael
•frijoles de la olla – plain fried beans in a pot
•el mal de ojo – the evil eye
•la curandera – a healer
•vamonos al hospital –we must go to the hospital.
•Santo Nino de Atocha – Holy child of Atocha
- Where are they? What time of year is it? What are they picking?
- Compare and contrast their current living conditions to what they thought it would be like in California.
- Do you think this family is better or worse off than they were when they lived in Mexico? Why or why not?
- What values and beliefs do this family have that we see strongly in this chapter?
- What was the “miracle” in Tent City? Do you think that faith can help people endure hardship? In what ways?