About Me

My photo
I graduated from Loyola University New Orleans (Geaux Wolfpack!) with a B.A. in Psychology. I recently completed two years as an AmeriCorps member during which I found a home at the Washington Middle School for Girls. Prior to WMSG, I worked as an adult education instructor for the Corrections Organized for Re-entry program (CORe). My mission at WMSG is to empower the students and stregnthen their voice. I hope to inspire a love of learning and a love of self.

Monday, April 30, 2012

THE CIRCUIT: Chapter 4, Miracle in Tent City

Vocabulary

• Torito – “Little Bull”, nickname for Juan Michael
•frijoles de la olla – plain fried beans in a pot
•el mal de ojo – the evil eye
•la curandera – a healer
•vamonos al hospital –we must go to the hospital.
•Santo Nino de Atocha – Holy child of Atocha


Questions
  1. Where are they? What time of year is it? What are they picking?
  2. Compare and contrast their current living conditions to what they thought it would be like in California.
  3. Do you think this family is better or worse off than they were when they lived in Mexico? Why or why not?
  4. What values and beliefs do this family have that we see strongly in this chapter?
  5. What was the “miracle” in Tent City? Do you think that faith can help people endure hardship? In what ways?



No comments:

Post a Comment