About Me

My photo
I graduated from Loyola University New Orleans (Geaux Wolfpack!) with a B.A. in Psychology. I recently completed two years as an AmeriCorps member during which I found a home at the Washington Middle School for Girls. Prior to WMSG, I worked as an adult education instructor for the Corrections Organized for Re-entry program (CORe). My mission at WMSG is to empower the students and stregnthen their voice. I hope to inspire a love of learning and a love of self.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Learning to Pay Attention


Good evening Seventh Graders, 

I am back again- searching for help to a very important problem: paying attention in class. 

Currently, I am sitting in my Psychology of Children class, which btw I find extremely interesting, but I cannot pay attention. I continuously find myself zoning out or daydreaming. 

So what should I do? I will tell you what steps I take toward focusing myself in class. Maybe, you can share your tips with me.

Step One
  • Sit in the Front
    • I know that it can seem awkward sitting so close to the teacher, but sitting in the front of the class limits distractions. 
Step Two 
  • Take Notes
    • Whenever my teacher is talking, or writing on the board, I write down what I think is important. This helps me follow the classroom conversation. Also, I can use these notes later when I study. 
Step Three
  • Ask Meaningful Questions
    • I like class, and my teacher, but sometimes I get bored or confused. One way for me to stay engaged is to ask meaningful questions.Occasionally, I will look at my notes, and check for understanding. If I realize that I do not understand something, I ask for clarification. If the teacher is busy, I write down questions that I have and email her my questions after class. 
WELL, BREAK TIME IS OVER.
 FEEL FREE TO COMMENT OR REPOST.
 I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment