About Me

My photo
I graduated from Loyola University New Orleans (Geaux Wolfpack!) with a B.A. in Psychology. I recently completed two years as an AmeriCorps member during which I found a home at the Washington Middle School for Girls. Prior to WMSG, I worked as an adult education instructor for the Corrections Organized for Re-entry program (CORe). My mission at WMSG is to empower the students and stregnthen their voice. I hope to inspire a love of learning and a love of self.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Write a Letter

SEVENTH GRADERS:

Congratulations on finishing your first novel, House on Mango Street!!! 
Now that you have finished, I am sure that you have many unanswered questions or comments for Esperanza. Tomorrow, we will write a letter to the main character. 

Parents:
As we read the novel, students wrote interesting comments, notable quotes, and unanswered questions on sticky notes. Now, they will revisit those notes in order to write a letter to the main character, Esperanza. Esperanza’s final realization as a growing adolescent is that she has a penchant for writing. She recognizes that her writing ability will give her the means to escape from Mango Street. Because Esperanza is a writer, she is a keen observer, and we see her ability to view and understand her neighborhood mature. 




No comments:

Post a Comment