About Me

My photo
I graduated from Loyola University New Orleans (Geaux Wolfpack!) with a B.A. in Psychology. I recently completed two years as an AmeriCorps member during which I found a home at the Washington Middle School for Girls. Prior to WMSG, I worked as an adult education instructor for the Corrections Organized for Re-entry program (CORe). My mission at WMSG is to empower the students and stregnthen their voice. I hope to inspire a love of learning and a love of self.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Black History Project part 1

One three centuries removed





From the scenes his father loved,





Spice grove, cinnamon tree,





What is Africa to me?
                                          
 "Heritage," Countee Cullen

In honor of Black History Month, our students are exploring their roots, while also examining what it means to be a black female in 2011.  Studying the Harlem Renaissance, the students are reading literary works by famed writers such as, Langston Hughes, Claude McKay, James Weldon Johnson, and Alain Locke. However, understanding that the zeitgeist of 1920's America is much different than our current cultural climate, the students were asked to create a written piece that explains what it means to be black in 2011. This assignment can be a poem, a narrative, or a diary/journal entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment